It would be interesting to know how process maturity affects process outcomes and how process maturity increases. The problem is that it is hard to measure process maturity.
Some people try to solve this difficulty by just asking what is your process maturity. I have seen several surveys which list all ITIL processes and ask at which maturity level you are. This is incredibly silly. One assumes that
- respondents are familiar with all ITIL processes
- there is some general maturity scale that people can apply to any process
- people can actually estimate their own maturity
None of that is true. This is true:
- People do not know all ITIL processes.
- If you asked three consultants to rate any given process, you would get three different results
- People are not good at estimating their own maturity
In my opininon the maturity question can tell us two things:
- the person doing the survey is not competent
- if the question is used in the results, the report is worthless
This is a presentation I did in itSMF Conference in Moscow 2012. I have added some comments to the slides.
the art of survey
Making surveys is now easier than ever. There are free tools for creating web-surveys and e-mailing is easy. The unfortunate result are an avalanche of poorly designed surveys. The 3QM is an approach to better surveys.
I am a statistician by training, I have an University degree and I have worked in research. Today surveys have been more of a sidetrack for me, I am mainly an IT Service Management consultant and trainer. I have created this method for myself and I thought it might be useful to try to spread it. It is simple and easy method.
My plan is to write the method here, on this website. All comments and questions are welcome.
Sep 3, 2009 The site is still under construction but next chapter is getting closer to release.
Sep 15, 2009 Chapter 3 Design published. Work continues.
Oct 5, 2009 First version published. All chapters have been updated.
Dec 12, 2009 Nice comment from David Ratcliffe about this site:
Simple but excellent advice from @aalem on customer surveys http://bit.ly/6GQVXU from #ITIL #ITSM 9:06 AM Dec 12th from web
Oct 1, 2010 Comment from a practitioner:
It worked incredibly well…
Feb 1, 2011 Updated Design with 3.4. Measuring customer satisfaction